Taking a Look at the Pros and Cons of New and Used Furniture
There is a lot of back and forth about which option is best, but what it comes down to is which option is best for your specific office. First, we reccommend you assess your office space: your size, your needs, your schedule and your budget. Next it’s time to decide what you’re willing to compromise on. In many situations there doesn’t have to be a compromise, you can find quality and selection at a low price, but it is a good idea to decide what’s most important to you about your new furniture: appearance, budget, style, scheduling etc.
Used Office Furniture
We sell a great deal of used and refurbished furniture from top brand suppliers in a variety of style and quantities. Our showroom is constantly rotating products, there is a new selection from day to day and week to week. We have a variety of products on location ranging from desks and chairs to cubicles, filing cabinets, and workstations.
Pros of Used Furniture
- The biggest advantage to buying used furniture is the price. The low costs tag makes used furniture a very appealing option for small business, non-profits, and offices operating on a tight-budget.
- Like any new product, new furniture loses value as soon as it is unpackaged. Used furniture can retain as much as 75% of its value for five years
Good for the Environment
- Buying used office furniture reduces your office’s carbon footprint. It eliminates waste from manufacturers and valuable energy and resources. You are saving perfectly good furniture from being dumped needlessly into a landfill
Fast Turn Around
- Used furniture is not being shipping around the country or the world. You do not have to wait for a custom order to be packaged and shipped from a big box store. Used furniture is moving from our warehouse to your location. Period. If you are on a short deadline, buying used can save you time.
Cons of Buying Used Furniture
- You may have limited selection depending on the quantity of products in our warehouse. We may not have exactly what you had in mind, it may not be the perfect color or size. This makes furnishing a larger offices more difficult.
- Products may come with a limited or expired warranty, which may prove to be a hassle if you are trying to find replacement parts for any furniture that may break in the future
Minor Wear and Tear
- Though we only buy and sell items that are in near perfect condition, used products are not without flaws. Items may have certain minor imperfections such as a slight scratch in the veneer. All products are inspected before they are sold.
Most Ideal For: Used office furniture is perfect for smaller office spaces – it makes it easier to mix and match furniture. Buying used is also great if you need to furnish an office that is temporary or if you’re planning on expanding or relocating in a short amount of time. Of course, the lower price also makes used furniture ideal for non-profit organizations, and any workplaces with a small budget.
New Office Furniture
We also offer new furniture to our clients. If we do not have it in stock, we can order it for you. This gives you the most custom options for your office.
Advantages of Buying New Office Furniture
- Buying new allows you to chose any quantity, color, size etc that you are looking for to suit your specific needs. Your options are customizable. If something is not in stock, we can order it for you.
- Buying new means you can chose from modern, state of the art furniture. If you are worried about your company’s image or reputation, having new, contemporary furniture may be a good option.
- All new products come with a new warranty. Because they are new, they are likely still carried in stores. If you need to get one more in the future, they will still be available. If you need replacement parts, the warranty will still be valid for repairs and parts are easy to get.
Disadvantages of Buying New Office Furniture
- Depending on your office’s size and budget, new furniture may not be a practical choice. New furniture costs more and loses resale value almost immediately. If you want the brand name quality, it is going to cost you.
- You will have to commit time and personnel to setting up and assembling new fresh-out-of-the-box furniture or you will have to pay someone else to assembling your new furniture.
- If you are buying a custom order of brand new furniture from a big box store, it is highly unlikely they will have the exact quantity of the furniture you want in stock and on location. Ordering new furniture and having it delivered will cost a lot of time as well as money.
- All products are made to look spectacular and flawless on a pedestal and in perfect light on the showroom floor, but in reality they may just be terrible low quality furniture. It is easy to get fooled when all products are dressed up to sell. If there is a low price tag on the showroom floor, it may be too good to be true.
Most ideal for: Larger companies with large offices and flexible budgets or companies looking to maintain a contemporary or modern image. If you are planning on making a long term investment in your company, keeping new furniture in good repair is a good investment.
If you are interested in shopping for new or used furniture in and around Boston, visit our showroom in Wilmington, MA or call us for more information 978-988-1300